.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fun with Cashflow 101!

By: Max Ng

When I first heard about Cashflow 101, I was very excited and wanted really to play the board game. To play the game, I faced two issues. Firstly, I needed to have a copy of the board game. Secondly, I needed to find a group of people who were willing to play the game together. Luckily for me, one of my friends had the board game. Also, I managed to find a few friends who had read the book Rich Dad Poor Dad. They were also very keen in playing the game. Thus, both issues were easily solved.

I managed to play for a few times. And I had really learned a lot from just playing the game. Of course I did not have an immediate enlightenment on the concepts that the game is trying to teach! Neither do I claim that I have understood all the concepts. But before I go about describing what I have learned, it is important that you have a general idea of the game. This may help you to understand what I have learned so far from playing the game.

Cashflow 101 is a board game designed by Robert Kiyosaki, the author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad. It aims to teach the players the concepts of investing and building passive income. To start the game, each player has a score sheet to track his passive income and expenses. It is similar to keeping track of financial statements in real life. There are 2 tracks in the game. The first track is where everyone starts playing. It is known as the rat race track. In the rat race track, the player may be required to spend for vacation. He may also have another child that causes his expenditure to go up. He may lose his job thus no income for a few months. He will face financial worry or difficulties like in real life situations.

Also, the player will encounter opportunity to invest in shares, real estates, businesses and so on. Basically, the player will encounter very real life liked situations that required decisions on investments. He may also encounter a situation where he does not have the cash to invest in a golden opportunity.

In order to get out of the rat race to the second track that is known as the fast track, the player has to learn to invest until his passive income surpasses his expenses. Once he has attained that, he will try to buy his dream or accumulate an additional $50,000 monthly cash flow to win the game.

In summary, the game gives the players the chance to experience real life situations even before they have happened. It is like giving them a glimpse of the future of what may happen if they stay in the rat race. It also provides the players a glimpse of an alternative bright future if they get out of the rat race. This is provided that they learned about cash flow, expenses, investment and building passive income.

That is just an introduction based on my personal experience of playing the game. I really loved playing the game. I hope that you can visual the board game to a certain extent. Now, let me shared with you what I had learned so far from playing the board game.

Firstly, if I were in the rat race track, I would be just waiting for paycheck after paycheck. My monthly salary would not increase much annually. And it would be like that for the rest of the years to come. In the board game, the rat race track is very short circular track. If each complete cycle were to represent a year, then time really flies fast on the board game. This gave me a glimpse of what my future would be liked in the next 10 years if I remained in the rat race track.

Secondly, if I did not invest in things that generate me passive income, I would take a very long time to clear my mortgage and debts by just saving. Saving is very important! But saving alone will not get me out of the rat race. If I want to get out of rat race in real life, then I have to learn to invest and build passive income.

Thirdly, I realized that if I was too greedy in the game and over invested beyond my financial means, I could easily go broke due to unexpected expenses or lost of job. Thus, it is important to manage my cash flow carefully in real life.

Lastly, I realized that it is important to save so that I could invest when a golden opportunity came knocking on my door. In the board game, I had a golden chance to invest on something that really gave good returns. But I did not have enough saving, thus I had gave it a miss.

* DISCLAIMER *
The author, publisher and distributors particularly disclaim any liability, loss, or risk taken by individuals who directly or indirectly act on the information contained herein. All readers must accept full responsibility for their use of this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...